From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 10:35:39 +1000
Mats Norman:

>Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> reports:
>
>>NB: Not all are immediately available everywhere.  The historical ones
>>may not be available in the US because of copyright considerations.
>
>How did you know about these releases now? (If I am allowed to ask
>that) - They haven't been announced at www.hnh.com yet.

No big mystery.  Each month, Naxos e-mails me a newsletter with a
summary of the releases for the following month, including in some
cases links to additional information and sound clips.  I simply check
out some of the links, edit the newsletter for brevity, add any details
I think might be interesting, and post it to share with other listers.
Usually during the first weekend of the new month, all this information
is linked from the New Releases option on the sidebar on Naxos's website
(www.naxos.com).  I don't remember how I subscribed to the newsletter
but it'll be on the website somewhere.  As one who has extremely limited
personal access to good CD stores, I spend a deal of time reading
magazines, trawling labels' websites, checking newsletters, finding
interesting nuggets of information in MCML posts, seeking information
from wherever.  In common with many other listers, I like to share
information when I think it might be of interest.

I also get a newsletter from the Australian distributor of Naxos.
Typically, the releases listed are at least one month later than their
appearance on the website.  There is no doubt some valid reason for this,
but I've given up trying to find out what it is.

The details I posted the other day mentioned Vol 2 of violin concertos
by Benda.  Coincidentally, I found Vol 1 in a store the other day, with
one concerto by JJ Benda, which reminded me of Bach's E Major concerto,
and two by Frantisek Benda, which were much like CPE Bach, I thought.
Enough incentive to check out Vol 2.  I also picked up a great Naxos CD
of 1940s Thelonious Monk, including tracks from a 45 I bought many years
ago and had lost, and a couple of examples of truly dreadful singing.
No, I don't own shares in Naxos, but I sometimes wish I did.

Richard Pennycuick