From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:10:04 -0700
I have not been following any of the controversy surrounding this
announcement, but I thought this open letter from the Philadelphia
Orchestra Association might be of interest to list members.

   Dear Friend of The Philadelphia Orchestra:

   There has been much interest and discussion regarding Maestro
   Christoph Eschenbach's recent announcement that his tenure as
   Music Director of The Philadelphia Orchestra will conclude with
   the end of his current contract, which runs through the 2007-2008
   concert season. Unfortunately, much of the press coverage has
   presented personal opinions and speculation that could very
   easily be misconstrued as fact.

   We are communicating directly with you to set the record straight.

   Fact:
   First and foremost, we are very proud of the work Christoph
   Eschenbach has done with The Philadelphia Orchestra and his
   tenure has been and will be celebrated as part of the legacy of
   The Philadelphia Orchestra. His decision to conclude his tenure
   as Music Director at the end of our 2007-2008 season is a personal
   one.  Although we offered him an opportunity to continue as our
   Music Director, he feels he has achieved his goals with us here
   in Philadelphia and has many other opportunities to consider.

   Fact:
   Maestro Eschenbach has always been treated with respect by the
   board, management and musicians of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
   It is simply irresponsible for anyone to disregard this fact,
   make assumptions about his motivations, or manufacture possible
   reasons for his departure.

   Fact:
   There have been many important achievements during the first
   three years of Maestro Eschenbach's artistic leadership of The
   Philadelphia Orchestra, including the initiation of a landmark
   recording contract, highly acclaimed national and international
   tours, the appointment of nine musicians, including five principals,
   and a renewed institutional commitment to community outreach.
   He has effectively shared his vision of the orchestra's future
   with donors, helping to build the orchestra's endowment to
   unprecedented levels.

   Fact:
   All truly great artists provoke excitement and sometimes a degree
   of controversy. Christoph Eschenbach is no exception. His work
   with The Philadelphia Orchestra has produced many brilliant
   performances and recordings. Though they may not always be to
   the liking of every music critic, they remain valid, important
   artistic statements made by an artist sought after by leading
   orchestras around the world.

   Fact:
   Christoph Eschenbach will remain the Music Director of The
   Philadelphia Orchestra for nearly two full seasons and several
   weeks as a guest in 2008 -2009. We look forward to the important
   concerts and recordings we have scheduled with him during that
   time.

   Fact:
   We, and many in our community, feel that in recent press coverage
   there have been personal attacks on Maestro Eschenbach, along with
   negative innuendo about his relationship with The Philadelphia
   Orchestra.  A local critic of the Philadelphia Inquirer went as
   far as to allege that, '...  what counts as success these days
   is Eschenbach and the orchestra reaching the last measure of a
   piece without getting lost along the way.' These types of comments
   about Maestro Eschenbach and our orchestra are ridiculous,
   offensive, and defamatory.  Our entire orchestra family is
   profoundly disappointed when reporters report the news in such
   an ungracious way.

   Fact:
   The entire orchestra family - board, staff and musicians - are
   committed to supporting Maestro Eschenbach and making the most
   of the remaining time we have together and to sharing our music
   with you.

   The Philadelphia Orchestra Association If you would like to contact
   us, please visit our website at http://www.philorch.org/contactus.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/