From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:50:41 +1100
Larry Sherwood, writing of the music program at his daughter's school,
said, in part:

>Although the orchestra is unlikely to win acclaim wide and far- I don't
>think it's intended for serious young musicians- it is open to all with
>the interest and ability to pay a fairly nominal instrument rental.  I
>even think PTA will cover the cost of the instrument in hardship cases.

As a former teacher, although not of music, I've found this thread very
interesting.  However, although PTA may be in common usage in the US, I
can only guess at its meaning - a parents' organisation, perhaps.  Could
I again make a general plea for local abbreviations and acronyms to be
given their full value so that all listers can follow things without having
to resort to guesswork?

Richard Pennycuick