From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:30:46 -0700
Steve Schwartz continues the thread in a great direction:

>Classical singers could also learn tons about declamation and phrasing from
>pop singers.  The singer who revealed this to me - I blush to admit this -
>was Streisand doing Debussy's "Beau Soir" from the Classical Barbra album.
>Breathtaking phrasing, and rhythmically spot on.  Since that time, I've
>listened to both classical and pop singers more carefully.

I sure do aggree with you, although I sure don't like Babs too well.  Even
so...no need to blush.

But, as Mr. Kearny's post suggests, Sinatra was a master.  Sure, he could
have never been a bel canto singer, but his phrasing and inflection, and
subtle time shifts, should (if they're not already) be the envy of many
so-called 'serious' singers.  He had this way of internalizing the music,
making the words -his- words, and not ever merely reciting them; and they
became pure magic when they left his lips.  I hold Frank in the highest
esteem.

Bob K.