From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:22:01 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>I'm only jesting, but my point is that nobody of sufficient clout is
>going to be the champion of the Arts.  If you want high art, you'll have
>to search for it.  Fortunately, it can be found.

I believe that the indeed the numbers that value expression that can
present a substantive challenge are indeed small, but I believe it is
the challenge that keeps the society growing.

I wonder, are you suggesting that the challenge is to find the expression
that challenges?

As for those who do have clout, every now and then there is a Carnegie,
or a Rockerfeller or an Ima Hogg or Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge.  In
Austin we have several with clout, who help to make the arts possible,
and I am not talking about a waterdown support of the arts.

Karl