From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:56:43 -0500
Bob D. wrote in response to Chris' criteria:

>>5. Is every note necessary and sufficient?
>
>Agree very much again.  Take Bach or Brahms every bit is an essential
>part of the whole.  But take certain other composers and we find their
>works awash with superfluous elements.

I would be extremely careful in what is deemed superfluous in music.
Often, especially in more modern works, texture becomes more important
than individual notes and traditional melodic lines.  Some of the chamber
works by Xenakis come to mind, perhaps Stockhausen is a good example too.
I believe that if I removed a single note from one of these works none of
us, including myself would notice.  But these notes are not necessarily
performing a "melodic" or "harmonic" function in the traditional sense.
However, the notes are not superfluous but are vital for the rhythmic
density and ultimately the feel of the piece.

I also somehow doubt that anyone would rule out a Haydn piano sonata
because of octave doubling in the melodic line.  In a way, this doubling
seems superfluous.  But it exists for a certain textural effect and perhaps
for balance.

I don't intend to create a big argument here, but I am curious what Bob
D. feels is superfluous.  I think 5 piccolos in a symphony would be
superfluous.

Kyle Major