From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:35:07 -0500
Tony Duggan writes:

>In fact it would be hard to overestimate the contribution of British
>composers to 20th century music.  It far outweighs that of some
>countries I could mention.

Tony's statement above is in respose to a list member who holds the premise
that British music review periodicals and the Penguin Guide possess a little
favoritism toward British composers, orcestras, and performers.  I don't
doubt the favoritism at all and would just like to point out that U.S.
sources show some favoritism for U.S. composers and performers, the French
for French composers, etc.  It's only natural and expected, certainly
nothing to complain about.  Nationalistic pride is a good thing.

The 20th century contributions of British composers may well outweigh the
contributions from the American side; that's nothing unexpected either.  The
U.S. has been a great source of 'contribution' to many areas of life, but
art music is not one of our strengths or priorities.  That's fine also.  No
country can be top-rate in every area.  U.S. citizens need to take pride in
"reality television".  As for me, I'm going to try to win a slot on the
need for instant gratification, I should make a superb entrant.

Don Satz