From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:40:30 +0100
Don Satz again:

>This is hardly a novel idea, but I'd love for a Bach opera to have been
>written.  I don't think that the arias would be significantly different
>from those in his choral works, but I'd be very excited concerning what
>Bach would make of the recitatives.  In most operas, the recitatives are
>not musically rewarding.  I think that Bach would have written recitatives
>of great musical significance which would have been a model for future
>composers.

Don't you like Wagner's model? If he hadn't "invented" it, somebody else
would have produced something similar.......

I actually think that Haendel's recitatives are more rewarding than
Mozart's.  Mozart does come up with some big hits in his operas, but many
of the operas are a bit boring in the long run.

Mikael "the never-ending melody" Rasmusson