From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:14:20 -0800
I hesitate to do this, as in a sense, it seems the height of ego.  But
what the hell?  I'm an egotist, although I try to keep my inflated sense
of self-worth under control.

I especially enjoyed these CDs and books during 2009.  URLs following each
entry lead to my reviews.

Books
Stephen Banfield.  Gerald Finzi: An English Composer.  Faber & Faber.
http://www.classical.net/music/books/reviews/0571195989a.php

Stephen Walsh.  Stravinsky -- The Second Exile: France and America,
1934-1971.  University of California Press.
http://www.classical.net/music/books/reviews/0520256158a.php

CDs
Berio - Folk Songs.  Berberian/Berio.  RCA 09026-62540
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/r/rca62540a.php

French Orchestral Music.  Music by Bizet, Chabrier, and Saint-Saens.
Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise, Royal Philharmonic
Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra/Beecham  EMI 3 79985
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/emi79985a.php

Gardner - Piano Concerto #1.  Midsummer Ale.  Symphony #1.
Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Lloyd-Jones.  Naxos 8.570406.
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/n/nxs70406a.php

Harbison - Songs America Loves to Sing.  Atlanta Chamber Players.  MSR
MS1190.  http://www.classicalcdreview.com/1190.html

I. Holst - Chamber Music.  Court Lane Music.  Court Lane CLM37601.
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/37601.html

Ives - Songs, v. 4-6.  Various artists.  Naxos 8.559272, 8.559273, 8.559274
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/8559272.html

Kernis - Newly Drawn Sky.  Symphony in Waves.  Too Hot Toccata.  Grant Park
Orchestra/Kalmar  Cedille 90000 105
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/90000105

Shostakovich - Violin Sonata.  Weinberg - Violin Sonatas #3 & #4.  Blacher,
Nemtsov.  Haenssler Classic CD93.190
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/h/han93190a.php

Thompson - Alleluia.  Mass of the Holy Spirit.  The Peaceable Kingdom, et
al.  Schola Cantorum of Oxford/Barton  Hyperion CDA67679
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/67679.html

Walton - Music to As You Like It & Hamlet.  Bott, Gielgud, Academy of St.
Martin in the Fields/Marriner  Chandos CHAN10436X
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/c/cha10436a.php

Walton - Music to Macbeth, Major Barbara, & Richard III.  Gielgud, Academy
of St. Martin in the Fields/Marriner.  Chandos CHAN10435X
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/c/cha10435a.php

Weinberg - The Golden Key, op. 55.  Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra/Ermler.
Olympia OCD473  http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/o/oly00473a.php

Zaimont - Rags.  Zaimont, Kosloff, The American Ragtime Ensemble/Reffkin,
Davis, Solomon, Owens.  MSR MSR1238.
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/m/msr01238b.php

Accentus.  Transcriptions.  Choral arrangements of Mahler, Debussy, et al.
Accentus/Equilbey
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/n/nai04947a.php

Lieberson.  Ravinia Recital, 2004.  Songs and arias by Brahms, Handel,
Debussy, et al.  Lieberson, Minter, Serkin.  Harmonia Mundi HMU907500
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/907500.html

La traverse miraculeuse - French-Canadian Sea Songs by Hall, Les
Charbonniers de l'Enfer, La Nef/Bergeron.  ATMA Classique ACD2 2588
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/2588.html

Happy listening in 2010.

Steve Schwartz