From:
Dave Pitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:06:59 -0800
I generally find the "extra-musical" sounds of Glen Gould et.  al.
distracting.  He maintained that he couldn't help making these noises and
I tend to believe him.  Too bad since, in my opinion, they make already
idiosyncratic readings even more so.  In my experience with Gould, the
objectionable singing has been the straw that broke the camel's back in
convincing me to either not buy the performance or to not listen to it
again.  Of course I'm at the point now where I just avoid Gould altogether.

  It seems, though, that there are three camps here:

1. Those that don't mind the sounds.
2. Those that actually like the sounds.
3. Those that don't like the sounds.

I suppose that those in group 3 should eschew those artists and their
recordings.  Those that like the sounds and find them to actually to add to
the readings...well, they're already happy.  Those that don't mind them are
likewise not bothered with a decision.

Should they be "editied-out"? No. leave them there. For better or worse,
they are a part of the performance.

Dave P.