From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:47:10 PDT
Stirling S Newberry wrote:

>As I've been at pains to point out many times the "traditionalists
>v moderns" discussion is a fiction.

Well, it's not an issue to me, but it definitely is to many members of this
list.  It may be superficial, but many "hot" topics often are just that.

>The real conflict, the one which matters, is between those who subordinate
>music to words, and words to power struggles - and those
>who are attempting to find an audience for the music that they create.

I feel that Stirling never fully recognizes that many people on this list
are totally outside the music profession.  My profession is buying and
selling real estate; my musical interests are buying and listeing to music,
and playing my piano and clarinet when I'm in a masochistic frame of mind.
Stirling's "real conflict" means little to me, and he would likely be of
similar mind if he was in my situation.

There's a world of difference between the concerns of "insiders" and
"outsiders."  That's the only point I'm making.

Don Satz