From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:57:09 -0500
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For those who, like me, avidly seek out fresh CM, here are some of my
>musical 'discoveries' of 2002:
>
>- Willem Pijper (1894-1947): (...)

A great composer indeed!  also like his sonatas for cello and piano...
Do you know Vermeulen, another great Deutch composer?

>- Marcel Landowski (1915-1999): Symphonies 1, 3 and 4 (Pretre, on Erato).
>It took time to penetrate his idiom, but I now find these symphonies
>captivating, even irresistible.

I find his First Symphony especially appealing... Landowski also composed a
few operas but they are seldom staged. In France, this composer has long
been perceived as the anti-Boulez of the musical establishment.

>Along with Bernard Stevens, to my ear, he seems to abhor flashy musical
>statements, yet amply rewards the attentive ear.  Stevens is more
>traditional and Romantic, but both are equally underrecorded, or they
>share a regrettably small output.

I don't know this composer... Do you have any specific work or recording
in mind?

>- Andre Jolivet (1905-1974): (...) Some adventurous label should
>devote a few CDs to fresh performances.

Indeed! Naxos, Chandos or Hyperion should give this music a chance!

>- Elisabetta Brusa (1954-): Extraordinary: tuneful yet strong, fiercely
>dissonant, superbly orchestrated works of a very high order.  Review to
>come of both Naxos CDs, time permitting.

Good, tuneful and colorful music indeed! But from my perspective it's too
derivative to be extraordinary:-)

>- Ahmet Adnan Saygun (1907-1991): Turkish composer of considerable
>distinction.

I especially like his Third Symphony, which sometimes reminds me of
Bartok without being derivative. Truly extraordinary music indeed:-)

>- John McCabe (1939-): A (fourth) case of saving the best for the last.
>I like everything I've heard.  That includes the Symphony #4 ('Of Time
>and the River') and Flute Concerto, the three String Quartets, and his
>ballet 'Edward II' -- all on Hyperion.

I can't agree more concerning the string quartets and the orchestral
works!  But my top recommendation is certainly Radulescu's Piano Concerto
(The Quest)... This music is so original, colorful and exciting that you
won't believe your ears:-)

Daniel B