From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:28:44 -0600
Ron Chaplin writes:

>Did Carl Orff compose anything else of significance, other than Carmina?

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "significance" and on whom
you've asked.  I think the Orff Schulwerk is magnificent, teaching music
to children by actually having them play and sing music, and almost every
piece delights me.  On the other hand, you shouldn't listen to the whole
thing all at once.  The pieces are meant to be heard in small doses.
Also, his operas represent a distinct (and, so far, idiosyncratic)
approach to stage drama.  Finally, as much as I love Carmina Burana, I
like the other two pieces of Trionfi even more -- Catulli Carmina and
Trionfo di Afrodite.  I think Orff ran out of gas in the postwar era.
His late compositions (the ones I've heard, that is -- nothing like
Carmina or any of his pre-war output, incidentally -- far more dissonant
and avant-garde) seem to me composing just to keep his hand in.

Is he a Great Composer?  Who the hell knows?  I don't really care.  I
prefer to listen and enjoy rather than spend my time ranking this composer
against that -- futility, I've concluded.  At his best, he's immediately
identifiable and moving besides.  He certainly is a superior melodist,
and, contrary to some critical opinion, it's hard to write a good melody.

Steve Schwartz