From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:16:50 +1100
Walter Meyer translates the following passage from
Goetzendaemmerung:

>  Wie wenig gehort zum Glucke! Der Ton eines Dudelsacks. - Ohne Musik
>  ware das Leben ein Irrthum. Der Deutsche denkt sich selbst Gott
>  liedersingend.
>
>How little is needed for happiness!  The sound of a bagpipe.  --Without
>music, life would be a mistake.  The German who sings songs considers
>himself God.

When I read the translation of the last line, I was surprised - but yes,
indeed you CAN translate this passage in this way!  Like Walter Kaufman
I too translated the passage along the lines of "The German imagines
God himself as a singer of songs".  In fact I prefer Walter Meyer's
translation.  It is more Nietschean.  It is not to be thought of as some
expression of oppressive Nietschean arrogance, but Nietzsche's affirmation
that music could elevate man far beyond himself - to the point of the
divine and of Uebermenschlichkeit.

Many thanks to Walter for the insight!

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia