From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:54:12 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>As far as I know, no major conductor with an international career
>consistently championed (Franz) Schmidt's work.

Mention has to be made here of Dmitri Mitropoulos, who until he died in
1960 was an ardent champion of "Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln," conducting
it for the last time before an international audience at the 1959 Salzburg
Festival in what were said to be memorable performances.  Notes to a
recording of one of the performances state it was an event of immense
political amd cultural significance for "breaking a lance for a leading
composer of the inter-war years who . . . had been cast in an unfortunate
light."

John Dalmas