From:
Danny Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:02:05 +0800
Natasha Thompson wrote:

>Hi I am from Central Peace High School, And I am trying to find out
>information about the peice "Cannon".  I am pretty sure that is what
>it is called.

   "Johann Pachelbel (1653-1706) 'Canon' from the movie Ordinary People.
   He is largely remembered by his influence on Bach but he was a
   substantial composer in his own right.  Born in Nuremberg he became
   a pupil of Johann Kaspar Kerl in Vienna.  After several other
   appointmentsas organist he went to Stuttgarnt in 1690.  Two years later,
   he was offered a post in Oxford but declined it in favour of one at
   Gotha where he remained until 1695, when he was appointed to the St.
   Seabalolous Church in his native Nuremberg.  The Canon in D was
   orginally coceived for three violins and continuo and may be described
   as an intricate elaboration of the simple music for of the 'round'.
   This is best known to many by the Elizabethan 'Three Blind Mice', with
   a pounding eight-note ground base which persists throughout.  it is
   also a highly ingenious set of variations.  In its complete form, it
   is followed by a gigue but the canon is often lagued alone."

(....extracted from SSO Program Notes)- SSO website:-  www.sso.org.sg