From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:29:54 -0500
Bob Yoon wrote:

>I'm looking at getting Bruckner 7th and 8th and I'm considering Celi's
>recordings.  Could anyone provide insight on the Celi recordings? And does
>anyone have any other recommendations?

If you are referring to the ones on EMI, grab em!!!  I find the Celi discs
to be forces of nature.  They are slow to be sure, but the overpowering
momentum that he creates and!sustains!  throughout these works is
breathtaking.  The second movement of the seventh is pure Valhalla!  (The
real one, not Wagner's)

As for other recordings, I do not own the eighth, but I have a half dozen
sevens, this being one of my favorite works.  In my own collection, I rank
them in order from best to worst.

Karajan: BPO on EMI
Jochum: Berlin Philharmonic on DG
Jochum: Staatskappelle Dresden on EMI
Walter: Columbia SO on CBS
Sinopoli: Staatskappelle Dresden on DG
DeWaart: San Francisco SO (live radio broadcast from 1998)
Masure: Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra on Vanguard (the least interesting of all
mine)

I am anxiously awaiting the backorder from cdnow of my Tintner version on
Naxos.

Kevin Sutton