From:
Norman Lebrecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:59:10 -0000
In the seventh edition of lebrecht.live, we ask:

  CRITICS - CAN WE TRUST THEM?

Many people make cultural decisions on the basis of what they read in
newspaper reviews. But who are the critics who sit in judgement, and what
qualifies them to do so?

Are they knowledgeable, reasonable and incorruptible, or are they members
of a self-selecting clique who have never achieved anything in life -
beyond criticism?

Both views, and more, will be vehemently aired in a specially extended
edition of lebrecht.live, the last of the present series.

Artists and creators who have suffered critical torments will get their
chance to bite back. Eminent critics will vigorously defend the integrity
of what some regard as a priestly calling. And those of us who rely on
reviews to keep up with the state of play will have a chance to voice our
respects and reservations.

Also, what are we to make of the new breed of www critics, notably the
book-pluggers of amazonia and the amateur enthusiasts of 1,000 scattered
sites? Their views, too, must be aired.

Get yours in first: e-mail your views to [log in to unmask] and phone
in live on the night:

   08700 100 444

Tune in to lebrecht.live on December 6 at 1900 UK time, 2000 CET, 1400 EST
(US) and get interactive with the critical issues.

Vote now:  Which critics do you trust most?
           Which do you trust least?

"Norman Lebrecht" <[log in to unmask]>