From:
Alexandros Rigas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 04:48:08 -0500
Eric Schissel:

>I believe there's some discussion of this in the notes to the Marco Polo
>recording of the three movements that were known at the time of the fine d
>minor first symphony.  Though the conjecture that the 3rd is actually die
>Seejungfrau, I picked up somewhere else- Groves' perhaps (not sure which
>one?)?

According to the notes compiled by Andrew Huth in R.  Chailly/RSO/September
1987 recording of the Symphony in B Flat (1897) together with the Psalm 23
(LONDON 421 644-2), Zemlinsky composed the following symphonic works:

a.  symphony #1 in E minor (1891):  the 3rd and 4th mvts only are preserved
in the Library of Congress

b.  symphony #2 in D minor (1893)

c.  symphony #3 in B flat (1897):  this is the one recorded by Chailly here
and it was in the past referred to as #2 (the Lyric symphony was recorded
later with the RCO)

d.  Lyric Symphony (1922) and

e.  Sinfonietta (1934)

Mr Huth also mentions that "two symphonic movements preserved in the
Library of Congress and dated March 1903 were thought to be the middle
movements of a 4th symphony until they were correctly identified as the
second and third movements of the symphonic poem Die Seejungfrau".

I think this clears up in a way the discussion!

Alexandros Rigas
Athens
Greece