From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:17:22 -0700
>[Bruckner was considered firmly in the Wagner camp.  Bruckner's third
>symphony was referred to as the "Wagner" symphony by Bruckner himself.
>-Dave]

Dave is quite right.  And he phrases it very carefully, that B was
"considered" in Wagner's camp.  I don't think he'd have considered himself
to be antagonistic to Brahms.

Unfortunately his admiration for Wagner put him on the wrong side of that
particular war and the eminent critic Eduard Hanslick, who hated Wagner (I
believe the comical Beckmesser in Die Meistersinger was originally called
Hans Lick) used that as an excuse to savage Bruckner in print.

Bruckner was even known to ask students at his lectures not to ignore
Hanslick's for his...

Deryk Barker