From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 17:42:44 EDT
Steve Schwartz writes:

>Rosbaud was one of the best least-known conductors of this century, like
>Scherchen, Horenstein, Mitropoulos, and Boult.  He worked for, I think,
>German radio, and he had the luxury of as much rehearsal as he wanted....

Another one that belongs in this category is Wand.  Too little attention
is paid to him, though he still conducts while in his mid-eighties.  I've
heard him put the Munich Philharmonic through its paces, with marvellous
results.  And he does rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.  On a partial Beethoven
cycle that he did here in Munich he made 'em work about fifteen hours per
performance--about Celibidache's requirement.  With radio orchestras, these
skimpy days, not that much time is alotted, but around ten hours is still
par, prior to performance.

Denis Fodor