From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:15:39 -0500
Denis Fodor wrote:

>...Which prompts me to wonder whether it'd be worth it for record
>companies to try hawking live performances of stuff that seems outstandingly
>promising -- like, say, the Levine Magic Flute with its all-star cast?

In my limited experience, unless the performing organization will agree
to a portion of the net, it will still cost a record company a bundle.
Then there is the notion that a recording is written in stone...musicians
are often concerned about the slightest mistake, even if the expression
is wonderful.  If possible, I will choose a live performance tape or
recording when I listen.  Some prefer the note perfect, and without much
of performer's personality, which is fine, and, on occasion one will
find a studio recording to both note perfect and full of expression, but
for me, like it when performers take chances and I don't mind an occasional
blemish.

Karl