From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:24:30 +0100
Bob Draper:

>Next up 'The Magic Flute'.  The critics sing this works praises calling it
>a masterpiece.  I found differently.  Here again are miles of spoken word.
>Here, also are somewhat disjointed mythological characters.

I think I sometimes prefer the spoken word instead of miles of recitative.
And "disjointed mythological characters" are more exciting than predictable
comic opera.

>So it seems to me that these works have many of the same faults but Oberon
>has the much better music.

One can indeed apply the same criticism, but Die Zauberfloete is my
favourite Mozart opera.  I really like the music.  But I like Oberon (and
von Weber) too.

>Once again a Mozart work disappoints me.  Still, maybe I'll find salvation
>in the much praised "Marriage Of Figaro", "Cosi Fan Tutti" or "Don
>Giovanni".
>
>Somehow I doubt it!

I doubt it too!  Don Giovanni contains very interesting music, but it's not
as good as I expected (and I thought that I was the anti-Mozartian on this
list!).

Mikael