From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:23:27 -0700
"Steve Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I thought Pavarotti possessed an exciting, natural voice but nevertheless
>used it very crudely and very predictably.  I greatly preferred him in
>his very early career, when he was still a very lyric tenor.  *Then* he
>had both tonal beauty and musicianship.  But, of course, you can't make
>a career with Donizetti.

An interesting post.  I am not very knowledgeable about opera singers,
but what I heard of Pavarotti never impressed me, until the other evening,
when PBS broadcast a filmed production from the Met in 1982.  It was
Donizetti's Elixer of Love, and to my surprise I found myself swooning.
The whole thing was gorgeous, including the fat guy.

Donald Clarke