From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:05:11 EDT
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>If anything, he was a complex personality, likely pricked by self-doubt
>more than most of us, particularly with respect to his compositions.  Just
>about every statement I've ever read from him regarding his own music seems
>at least tinged, if not riddled through, with defensiveness, which implies
>insecurity rather than conceit.

Both Schwartz's agree here!  However I feel his insecurity *was very
tinged* by his conceit and arrogance.  The fact that he was gifted and
talented did indeed go to his head and he therefore felt compelled to leave
his "mark" in both Classical and Broadway Show music.  It did nag at him
that he became more successful in the latter than in the former.  Most
would have been happy with the success in one arena.  His conceit and
arrogance led him to believe he was both entitled to, and should have had
it all.

Norman Schwartz