From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 19:57:26 -0700
Marcus Y. Kim ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I am only aware of Leslie Howard and Janice Weber's recording of the
>original etudes.  I find both recordings poor because neither Howard or
>Weber have the ability to pull off a convincing performance.  Besides,
>Howard is notorious for cheating by digital editing (even more than Glenn
>Gould!).

Them's fighting words to a Canadian!!!

GG may have believed in creating a performance by edits but he was
not "cheating" if by that you mean to imply covering up for lapses in
technique.  You only have to hear the live 1957 (?) Salzburg Goldbergs
on Sony to realise he had an awesome technique.

Deryk Barker