From:
Nicolas Croze-Orton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:42:27 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>So, Nicolas might find that a re-investigation of Naxos orchestral
>recordings is beneficial.  On the other hand, there wouldn't be any great
>loss in avoiding them.

You are absolutely right when you say that Naxos has improved much on it`s
orchestral music.  But the improvement still does not seem to compete
enough to my satisfaction with other " major " label orchestra`s.  And has
for Bruckner, I am not a great Romantic fan, my vocation has violist in
many chamber ensembles has bestowed me with a liking of smaller formations.
Yet I do not deny that many large orchestral scores bring much wonder to
me.  Especially Beethoven`s symphonies, my favorite recording being the
ones by Harnoncourt.  My view on Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner and the likes (so
on and so on), comes back full circle to a debate started a few weeks ago
on "overdoing it" in the high romantic period.  There are many exeptions
though.  Nevertheless I will review many more recent Naxos recordings in
good faith.

Nicolas