From:
Linda Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 16:21:47 -0400
It is my understanding that the Women's Philharmonia, which is, I believe
the orchestra that folks have been talking about, is an orchestra that
was brought together for special concerts and recording projects and not
only does it not offer full time employment to anyone, but indeed employs
women musicians from a number of other orchestras.  This is no one's main
job.  In presenting a very special artistic program in a very special
fashion--the music of women composers, played by women--they would probably
be able to legally defend their practice as meeting the artistic needs
of the particular project.  Just as theater groups can defend casting
practices.  (No one forces a theater group to take applications from both
genders for a gender-specific role, or from all ages for a role that has a
certain age attached, or to cast a white man in the role of Martin Luther
King, etc.) The women involved in the Women's Philharmonia are making an
artistic statement about women in the arts in a visual way that strikes the
eye and the heart.  It is a performance piece.

"Linda Rogers" <[log in to unmask]>