From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:15:05 -0400
Don Satz writes:

>If an orchestra's "specialty" was French romantic orchestral music, is
>the population expected to hear a steady diet of this music?  I consider
>that approach totally unreasonable.

The main orchstras in France, where I lived for nine years, in my time
made a point of programming a great deal of French music.  In the main
they played it well and with zest.  The audiences attending performances
seemed enthusiastic about hearing it.  I don't think they considered it a
"steady diet", or even if they did, the consideration carried no pejorative
overtone.  The French classical canon in music is very broad indeed.  You
could play it from here to the Salle Pleyel and not be disappointed by its
variety.  But there are in France plenty of opportunities to hear musical
groups that present other fare, and of course foreign orchestras are often
heard on tour there.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]