From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:57:04 GMT
Kai Czepiczka is considering buying the CPO disc of George Macfarren's
4th and 7th symphonies and asked whether the disc was worth investigation.

I bought the disc in question over a year ago and listened to it a few
times.  I can't say I was very impressed; the works did not display a
wealth of melodic invention.  Someone back then portrayed Macfarren as the
"English Beethoven" or something of that nature, but there's a very wide
gap between the two concerning musical inspiration.  As I remember, the CPO
performances seemed fine at the time.  The best aspect of the disc is the
cover art, but any good feelings from that source soon dissapate once the
music begins.

Perhaps a better choice, also on CPO, would be a disc of symphonies of
Jeanne-Louise Farrenc who was born about 10 years earlier than Macfarren.
I consider her significantly better than Macfarren.  Her disc gives you
obscure works which should be better known; Macfarren's are obscure works
which I think should remain that way.

Don Satz