From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:27:53 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>I generally attend about 2 concerts a year, although that number went
>up when I vacationed in Europe.  With little exception, I don't find
>live concerts very appealing.  My mind tends to wander, and I end up not
>feeling that I've received full value for my ticket cost.
>
>So obviously, recordings are what I prefer.  I suppose that the sound
>at concerts is better and more realistic than on recordings.  However,
>I don't really notice much improvement.  Listening to music in the privacy
>of my home or vehicle gives me complete satisfaction and much better
>insight into the compositions.

I certainly hear what you're saying, but my experience is almost exactly
the opposite.  At home, though I have a fine music collection and a great
sound system, that's where my mind tends to wander.  Perhaps I need more
discipline.

Now in the concert hall or, better, the recital hall, my attention almost
never wanders, even though I sometimes have to write a review while the
music is actually being played.  Even then, the music engages me, moves
me as CDs almost never do.

On the other hand, I'd know far, far less about music than I do had
not recordings been available to me.  I've been able to get to know
such neglected composers as Robert Simpson and Humphry Searles . . .
well countless composers new and old.

De gustibus . . .

Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>