From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:01:41 +1000
Danielle Woerner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   I'm glad this discussion is opening up.  Coincidentally, I was just
>   thinking the other evening about the wonderful Vaughan Williams "Songs
>   of Travel," a cycle which I sang in its entirety (I'm a soprano) in
>   my first-ever public recital in the '80s.  Generally, the cycle is
>   done in its entirety by a man, or occasionally shared by a male and
>   a female singer.

Not sure what RVW - the original grumpy old man - would make of it; but i
(for one) would be intrigued to hear a female soloist in the Songs.  Mind
you:  a woman's voice in Butterworth's _A Shropshire Lad_ cycle might be
even more valuable....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>