From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:58:08 +1100
Don Satz:

>All I know of Richard Hol is that Chandos is releasing a disc of two
>of his symphonies directed by Bamert who has been conducting the
>Contemporaries of Mozart series.  I'd appreciate amy information as
>to his time period, nationality, type and quality of music.  My hunch is
>that he's an early romantic composer, but that's based on little.

 From Grove:

   b Amsterdam 23 July 1825, d Utrecht 14 May 1904. Dutch conductor,
   pianist and composer.

   Although Hol promoted the works of Berlioz and contemporary
   German composers in his concert programmes, his own music remained
   conservative.  His published works number more than 125 and include
   two masses, cantatas, psalms, an oratorio, David (1879), two operas,
   Floris V (1892) and Uit de branding (1894), four symphonies, songs
   and works for organ and for piano.

Richard Pennycuick