Re: Furtwangler and Mahler Symphonies [log in to unmask] on Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:05:54PM -0500
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:58:27 -0800
Pierre Paquin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Ouch!  I still dislike Mahler's music - "See everybody!  I'm suffering
>so much!  - except for the 3rd symphony in the Neumann/ Czech Phil
>performance.  The balances, the straightforward approach, the fabulous
>playing of the CPO, the "sonics" make this recording very special.
>Solo work by C.  Ludwig is very special too.  With all these attributes
>plainly in focus for any Mahler nut, I can't understand why you think it
>to be your least favorite performance on CD? I would then conclude that
>all of your other "in favor of" Mahler postings here are to be held
>suspect.

Wait a minute!  You cite as virtually the only Mahler recording you enjoy
one which I happen to think falls far short.  You evidence a distaste for
Mahler's music which seems based entirely on myths whcih were exploded
decades ago - and you think *my* Mahler recommendations are suspect!

I'm trusting that you are not being intentionally rude, but I begin to
wonder.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)