From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:23:39 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>I side with Jerry Seinfeld on this issue.  In one episode, he poked great
>fun at a small-time conductor who insisted on all his acquaintances calling
>him "maestro".  The guy was truely obnoxious, and this would also apply to
>any famous conductor who liked the term.

That reminds me of the distinction between top-rank universities, where
it's a serious faux-pas to call any faculty member "Doctor," and the
academic pits, which are full of individuals who insist on being addressed
as "Doctor" or "Professor."

To me, "maestro" has a distinctly old-fashioned ring at this point, and
I think that most people who use it have their tongues somewhere in the
vicinity of their cheeks.  Does anyone know of any highly regarded
conductors these days who are insulted if they are not graced with this
title?

Also, more and more conductors these days would need to be addressed as
"maestra," but I've never seen or heard this term used. Have you?

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]