From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 21:36:56 -0500
Richard and Karl comment on my characterization of Richard Arnell's Third
Symphony:

>>> It has enough themes to make another symphony. The argument gets
>>> cloudy. It's like finding yourself in a cluttered attic. Furthermore,
>>> not all the sections reach the same high level, and, as I say, the
>>> intent gets blunted.
>>
>>I would like to second Steve's appraisal of the music, however,
>>the clutter has not limited my appreciation for the music.
>
>Nor mine.  I nominated this CD as my purchase of 2006 and have returned
>to it often.  I don't hear clutter, just exciting, absorbing music.  I've
>seen similar criticism of the first two Dvorak symphonies, which also
>appeal to me strongly.

Let me say that I find Arnell's music highly enjoyable, which probably
didn't come through in my carping.  Anybody who's met me knows I have
an affinity for clutter.  But that doesn't mean I don't recognize it
when I see it.

Steve Schwartz