From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:21:59 -0800
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jeffrey Hall <[log in to unmask]> asked:
>
>>Dear CM fans, Any commments on Mutter's new recording of the Beethoven
>>violin concerto?  I love this piece, one of B's best works.  Thanks.
>
>One word: bad. Don't buy it.

Would you expound on this a little?  What I have sometimes disliked about
Mutter's playing is how hysterical she sometimes sounds, sometimes to
the point where she sounds like she's lost control of the violin; but a
couple of years ago she went around performing the cycle of B's sonatas,
and my friend who heard her said it was perhaps the best performance of
the sonatas he had ever heard.  Later he gave me a videotape of her doing
the "Kreutzer," and indeed her playing was much more restrained and
self-controled, giving the music a much better chance to "speak for
itself" (forgive the cliche).  Now I'm wondering if she has reverted
back to her old ways......

hector aguilar