From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:54:33 -0600
My blind spot would be the symphonies of Gustav Mahler -- except, I
hasten to add, for Nos.  1 and 4, both of which I adore.  Though I have
tried repeatedly to like the other seven, it has been to no avail.  To
me, they come across as brilliantly-orchestrated windbags of angst.
Sorry, Mahler fans...it is my loss, I'm sure!

As for Anton Bruckner (with whom Mahler, for some inexplicable reason,
is often paired in discussion), I find the sound of all nine of his
symphonies to be very exciting indeed.  However, I think there are
altogether too many repetitious climaxes to be truly dramatic.  Still,
something about his music is quite endearing -- the spiritual side
perhaps?  -- and he remains firmly in my affection.

Richard Veit