From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:32:22 -0400
David Stewart wrote:

>Anyway, I enjoyed his Froissart, though I did not think he managed to give
>it enough energy which I think is quite important in that kind of piece.
>Very well playe though.
>
>Cello conerto was rather unremarkable in my opinion.  ...
>
>Second Symphony was outstanding though.  ...
>
>The audience's behaviour was abismal though. ...
>
>However, Roger Hecht, whom I met before the performance, will, I am sure,
>when he gets back to a computer, be able to tell me if I am right or not.

Well, I'm back at a computer, but David certainly does not need me to tell
him if he's "right or not".  I do happen to agree with him--however "right"
that makes him--though I didn't notice the bit about the audience.  My wife
did, but those that remained were enthusiastic.

I find his phrase about Hickox not giving Froissart "enough energy"
interesting and very appropriate.  I've felt that way about Hickox on
occasion (and that's a very good phrase) and did so with his Sea Pictures
(with Anne Sofie von Otter singing them as if they were Schubert lieder or
whatever), his Gerontius, and to a lesser extent, his Enigma (though many
will disagree on that one).  And yes, this Cello Concerto was somewhat
soporific.  Beautifully played with exquisite cello tone and sense of line
on the part of all concerned, but, again, lacking energy and also
intensity.

But that Second Symphony was terrific as described and so was the In the
South at the second concert.

David and I did meet at two concerts and we had two very pleasant and
interesting discussions. Very enjoyable.

Roger Hecht