From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:03:56 -0500
Just a few off the top of the head.  don't think any justification is
necessary for these.  The list gets heavily American but I think the
audience would like it all if I could get them there with the right
publicity, which I bet could be pulled off.

Mahler: Songs of a Wayfarer; Ruckert Lieder; Das Lied von der Erde

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Violin Concerto, Dance Suite

Stravinsky: Petrouchka, Baisee de la Fee, Symphony of Psalms (How's
this for contrast?)

Britten: Violin Concerto; Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge; Sea
Interludes from Peter Grimes

Vaughan Williams: Oboe Concerto; Lark Ascending; "London: Symphony

Debussy: Saxophone Rhapsody; La Mer; Nocturnes

Kodaly: Peacock Variations; Concerto for Orchestra; Hary Janos Suite

Thompson: 2nd symphony; Frostiana; Testament of Freedom (so there!)

Thomson: Symphony on a Hymn Tune; Plow that Broke the Plains;
Louisiana Story

Schuman: New England Triptych; Symphony 3; Song of Orpheus

Shapero: Credo for Orchestra, Symphony for Classical Orchestra,
Partita for Piano and Orchestra

Hovhanness: Mysterious Mountain, Prelude & Quadruple Fugue, Vishnu
Symphony

Harrison: Elegiac Symphony, Concerto for Violin & Percussion, Ariadne
for Flute & Percussion (don't know the last one, but assume it is
short enough)

Rabushka: Harp Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Viola Concerto (to be
commissioned)

Jim Tobin