From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:35:00 -0500
Donald Satz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Of the two, I have to pick Liszt as the most indulgent because of a
>combination of his personality and music-making.  Except for the last piano
>works he composed, Liszt's music most reminds me of a petulant child who is
>always going over-board in his declamations.  Any other opinions?

Well,i really agree a lot with Donald opinion on Liszt music.  The
music i most enjoy of him is: B minor Sonata,Trascendental etudes(wich
ironically,have more music essence than some other Liszt music wich was
supposed to be "very musical"),Mephisto Waltzer,Funerailles,Two concert
etudes, the 3 pohetic capprices,some of the Paganini etudes.In second
place of music quality i like:2nd,6th and 15th Hungarian Rapsodys.The
Spanish rapsody.The 1st and 2nd piano concerto.In third level comes the
transcriptions,etc.  And the really very but very worst (for me) are the
Annes de Peregrinage(That music sounds for me like a kind of the religious
manners of the old women who go to the church and stay praying for hours
inside),the Ballades,the polonaises,and the famous "Dante Sonata".  When
i was a contestant in the 1,980 Gina Bachauer Competition, at least 12
contestants were playing that "work" what a torture.  It seems to me this
"Dante Sonata" could match very well the aproach of Donald Satz.  Regards.

Gerardo:.