From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 22:31:43 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>But you also have to ask why people are so reluctant to listen to classical
>music.  The main reason is that it is seen as being "High Brow".  I used
>to find that classical music stores and concerts are full of condescending
>snobs and they still are!  ...
>
>I wear a baseball cap and I swear that for this reason I get inferior
>treatment by shop assistants in record stores and bad looks by the snob
>shoppers.

Your use of the words "high brow" and "baseball cap" compel me to repeat
a message I sent about two years ago, and I beg long-time subscribers'
forebearance.

In the sixties, baseball star Sandy Koufax was "caught" listening to
Mendelssohn.  When razzed by the sportswriters, Koufax, to his everlasting
credit, replied:  "I don't think Mendeslssohn's so high-brow." We need more
of that in the current sports world.

Mitch Friedfeld