From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:45:40 -0400
William Jenks writes:

>I'd like to add to my Haydn symphony collection, and I'm looking for
>some advice/recommendations.  My taste runs to the HIP side, perhaps
>more specifically to the small-orchestra side.

I've got one of the Philips Duo disks of Londons with Davis.

Which are definitely not on the "small" side.  But they are really very
presentable, and consistent.

>I've also got a "Sturm and Drang" set from L'Archibudelli.

Surely not L'Archibudelli? If a Sony Vivarte CD, then it is likely to be
Tafelmusik led by Bruno Weil.  L'Archibudelli is a flexible string chamber
music ensemble, unlikely to tackle Haydn symphonies except perhaps in
small-ensemble transcription [which I fervently hope they will not bother
themselves with, because these transcriptions lose the bite!]

My advice: Goodman/Hanover seems to have hung it up after 17 CDs, about
two-thirds of the total.  All of them are worth investigating.  There's a
harpsichord present in the bass, which may be neither here nor there, but
which has sparked a certain amount of reviewerly controversy [let's not
dignify these arguments with "critical."]

My personal reaction to Hogwood is that everything is either a little or
a lot underplayed.  The first six volumes did not persuade me to take the
investigation any further.  No harpsichord in this series.

Why does one have to have every dam' note? There are other worthwhile sets
of more limited scope:

Pinnock/English Concert: Nos.  6-8 and the "Sturm & Drang" Symphonies
on a total of seven CDs.  These have a good deal of bite and thrust, and
plenty of dynamic contrast, but the performances seldom go over the top in
ways which this music would seem to invite.  [DG Archiv].

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra -- distinctly non-HIP -- shows what a couple of
dozen technically masterful and musically intelligent NY freelancers can
do when properly motivated.  I come back to these eight CDs over and over,
with undiminishing delight.  [DG]

The aforementioned Tafelmusik under Bruno Weil did a quite distinguished
set of Haydn's "Paris" Symphonies [Nos.  82-87] and an added CD containing
Nos.  88-90.  [Sony Vivarte series].

Siggy Kuijken with La Petit Bande has recorded at least three CDs variously
containing symphonies nos.  26/52/53, 88/89/92, and 90/91, satisfactory
performances is slightly distracting acoustics.  [Virgin Classics].

With the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, in similar recording
circumstances, Kuijken has done the "Paris" symphonies respectably [Virgin
Classics].

I'll let someone else treat the Brueggen series on Philips; I'm not keen
on them, entirely over matters of balance.  I have a soft spot for the old
Woldike recordings reissued by Vanguard/Omega, but these are not exactly
small-ensemble performances; all they share with present-day HIP efforts
is fine rhythmic focus and general lightness of movement.

John Wiser