From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:36:16 -0700
Who can tell me something about Andrei Petrov (b.  1930) - the man and his
music.  I have a BMG/Melodiya/RCA Victor Gold Seal disc with his "Creation
of the World" ballet suite, which I have just listened to tonight for the
first time.

MARVELOUS!!!!

The second movement, 'Dance of the Angels' is an incredibly irreverent
Stravinsky-like and wonderfully discordant five minutes of sheer lunacy,
complete with tooting car horn sounds.  This is followed by an -- alas all
too brief -- 'Hymn of Eve', which has an ethereal wordless chorus over a
fabulously simple but very moving theme.  In places it reminds me of
Khrennikov -- especially the latter's 'Napoleon Bonaparte.'

Can anyone help me find more of this man's music? I
MUST have it!!!!!

PS: the disc couplings are Stravinsky's 'Petrouchka' and Ravel's 'Daphnis
et Chloe Suite No. 2, Yuri Temirkanov conducting the Leningrad
Philharmonic.  Disc number is 74321-32044-2

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA