From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 17:50:37 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Bill Pirkle replies to me:
>
>>>For example, can anyone tell me the emotion of the famous slow movement
>>>of the Beethoven fourth piano concerto? "
>>
>>This one is a favorite of mine, so I took up the challenge.  I've listened
>>to it 3 times and concluded the following: ...
>
>Suffice to say that those are not the emotions the piece stirs within me.
>But the hard question is still unanswered.  What in the music causes those
>emotions to be stirred?

>From my perspective sly old Schwartz was giving you what is generally
regarded as the most enigmatic few measure Beethoven wrote.  I can recall
that movement being discussed in several of my seminars in graduate school.
Everytime I have a chance to visit with a pianist, I try to get their slant
on it.

Somewhat related to all of this, someone on this list (can't remember who)
wrote something about the function of art being to address the emotions.
I find that notion too limiting, for I also believe that art should also
be able to address our rational thinking.

Karl