From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:06:46 -0500
Sitting here looking over a stack of records, I came across some Mozart
conducted by Karl Bohm.  Does anyone out there collect Bohm recordings?
I started thinking about other musicians who are or have been very
active...Bachauer, Abbado, Ozawa, Ormandy...perhaps there are those who
collect Ormandy recordings...but...there are many who collect recordings
by musicians like Furtwangler, Stokowski, Koussevitzky (I for one),
Kapell, Horowitz, Morini, Wicks, Argerich, Rosbaud, etc.

Does anyone collect Karajan recordings?

I was wondering, what is it about their performances that produces such
a following?  And why is it that some musicians who were names, like a
Solti, don't seem to have much of a following after they are gone.

While I have my own ideas...namely that many of those soon forgotten
but popular during their lifetime were more workman like in their music
making.  You could count on them for a "good" performance, even if it
wasn't inspired.

Along the same lines, is it just me, or are there many active performers
to day that will become "icons" once they are gone...if so, any speculation
as to what those names might be.  I can see an Argerich being "collectable"
once she is gone...for she is collectable today...not to say that I am
a fan of her interpretations...

Maybe what I am asking is why WAS a von Karajan, or Solti, so revered
in their time, yet seem not to be able to be able to maintain their
status past their deaths...or is that just my own myopic perspective.

Karl