From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:14:23 PDT
I was at Wherehouse Sound yesterday to pick up the latest Gramophone, but
I ended up walking out with four cd's in addition to the magazine.  Since
Wherehouse Sound is a chain store, I thought some list members might be
interested in a sale they have on used classical cd's.

Buy 4 used cd's, and the least expensive one will cost only one cent.
I immediately started browsing only through the multiple sets and bought
Pickett's Brandenberg Concertos, Rifkin's version of the Bach Mass, the
Schumann symphonies conducted by Goodman, and the Brahms string quartets
from the Alban Berg Quartet.  I don't generally go hunting for sales, but
this one was right in front of me and couldn't be ignored.  Too bad I'm
leaving town for a few days.

I had an interesting stereo receiver buying episode, and no, I wasn't
thrown out of the store.  I went to the best audio store in Albuquerque and
bought a receiver which sounded great in the store.  But, I found at home
that there was distortion in loud piano passages.  This only happened with
piano music.  It was a major pain to place the receiver in the applicable
entertainment center compartment, because its width is 17 inches as is the
width of the receiver.  Now, I had to remove it and return to the store.
It turned out that other identical models in stock all had the same
distortion problem (the owner was not pleased with his situation).
Anyways, I upgraded to a different brand, although my measurement showed
slightly wider than 17 inches.  Well, when home, I was determined to stuff
that receiver into its compartment, and I did get it in but only in a
suspended state.  The thing won't budge, and I'm keeping it as it is.  The
only favorable result is that there's some room under the receiver now to
store about 30 cd's.  My wife thinks the suspended receiver looks unique
and has no problem with it.

Don Satz