From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:58:31 -0500
COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY
NOVEMBER 26th -- NOVEMBER  30th, 2001

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, NOVEMBER 26th

Hour 1 -- Anne Akiko Meyers in NPR's Studio 4A:  Adventurous violinist
Anne Akiko Meyers and pianist Audrey Andrist join Fred in Studio 4A for a
recital that ranges from Mozart to Gershwin, from music by Charlie Chaplin
to a piece by Someh Satoh called "Birds in Warped Time II."

Hour 2 -- Pianist Richard Goode joins conductor JoAnn Falletta and the
Buffalo Philharmonic for a performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto No.  25.

Tuesday, NOVEMBER 27th

Hour 1 -- And the winner is ....: The 2001 University of Louisville
Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition will be announced today.  The
$200,000 Grawemeyer Award is considered the top prize in international
music composition.  Fred talks to the winner and we'll have a short excerpt
of the piece.

Hour 2 -- How did the cello get its name? Our Coming to Terms answer man,
Miles Hoffman tells Fred it's more complicated than you might think.

Wednesday, NOVEMBER 28th

Hour 1 -- Terry Teachout has a profile of MacArthur "Genius Grant" winner,
pianist Stephen Hough.

Hour 2 -- Nielsen Symphony Series, Part 4:  When he wrote his Symphony No.
4, Carl Nielsen tried to express what he considered the "elemental will of
life." He called his new symphony "The Inextinguishable." We'll have an
introduction from author Michael Steinberg and we'll hear a performance
from Copenhagen by the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 29th

Hour 1 -- A mother's sacrifice turns to joy:  Writer and one-time aspiring
pianist Anne Cassidy tells the story of her musical relationship with her
young daughter, a budding cellist.

Hour 2 -- Basic Liszt:  Our Basic Record Library Curator Ted Libbey joins
Fred to recommend recordings of the Hungarian Rhapsodies by Franz Liszt.

Friday, NOVEMBER 30th

Hour 2 -- The fiery Russian pianist Valentina Lisitsa joins Fred to
introduce her performance of the Piano Concerto No.  3 by Sergei Prokofiev.
We caught her in concert in Worcester, Massachusetts with the Russian State
Symphony Orchestra and conductor Valery Polyanski.

A PEEK AT NEXT WEEK
To commemorate the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, we have a
series called "Music in Time of War." Join us as Robert Kapilow uncovers
music Ravel wrote for his fallen friends, noted author Jan Swafford
explores music from the Civil War, Ted Libbey recommends recordings
of the Shostakovich Symphony No.  7, and a modern day composer takes a
trip to Vietnam to conduct his own "Symphony for the Sons of Nam." Plus,
performances by the "President's Own" United States Marine Band, and so
much more.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE:  Listen as Robert Kapilow
explains what makes "America the Beautiful" so great...  Hear Royal Brown's
critique on the Harry Potter soundtrack....  Tune in to our Nielsen
series...  Check out our special page on music for solace and comfort in
the wake of recent events.  Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf:  A
Special Report." You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>