From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:02:09 -0000
Justin Rollheiser writes:

>Recently, the only local classical station in my area was shut down to make
>room for yet another pop formatted station.  Though I didn't listen to the
>station everyday, it was great to have the choice of variety.  I joined
>this listserv as a class assignment, and have found it very interesting.
>Part of the assignment includes posting a question(s) of my own, so here
>goes:What are your opinions on radio stations selling-out to pop?  How
>often does this happen in other cities?  How can this be stopped from
>happening.

Justin, I think the only thing that stops such a thing happening over
here is the existence of the TV Licence supporting the BBC.  I suppose what
I'm saying in answer to your question is that there are some aspects of
broadcasting that just cannot be left to the commercial sector and that
public funding has to come into play.  Here in the UK the financing of the
BBC is enforced by law.  We pay our TV licence to provide a TV and radio
service that does include "minority" services like classical music radio.
If we don't we can end up in prison.

Tony Duggan,
England