From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 10:49:35 +1000
Kevin Sutton noted that:

>Testament is giving us what is truly the worthwhile stuff of the old
>Angel catalogue.

Indeed they are - at premium prices.  My feeble grasp of economics suggests
that they would make at least as much money by flogging this stuff at half
the price and probably selling at least twice as many copies.  It also
suggests that they'll price their product at whatever we're prepared to
pay.  In the meantime, Naxos is releasing vintage material at budget prices
and, presumably, selling it, otherwise they'd stop. I don't understand.

>There is no reason that they or someone like them can give us the worthy
>stuff from other biggies.

As I've observed before, such words as majors and biggies no longer mean
the labels they used to, certainly in relation to CM labels.  I think what
Kevin is suggesting is that labels that are run by music lovers who also
know how to turn a buck would do the right thing by all this material as
opposed to those being managed by accountants (with due apologies to any of
their number who are listers).  I tender in evidence any recent newsletter
from Sony Classical, eg Joe Jackson? Charlotte Church? Then look at the new
releases from Naxos, Chandos, Hyperion, cpo, and so on, and feel that
anticipatory tingle.

Richard Pennycuick